Novellas are the Bane of my Existence

Welcome to Thoughts for Thursday! This feature is our outlet to talk with you about whatever we currently have on our minds. It might be bookish, it might not! Now for this week's thought:

Novellas are the Bane of my Existence

Ok, so I am being a little dramatic with my post title here seeing as I do not actually hate novellas, at all. In truth, I've never actually read a novella and if I had to wager a guess I do think I will enjoy quite a few of them. But I can't decide if I actually like the concept of novellas, and some have started to cause me "great distress or annoyance". I could have also titled this post "Novellas are a Pain in my Ass" but I didn't want to curse so publicly. ;)

You see, novellas are becoming increasingly popular as of late. So much so, that many of my favorite series have them, or are starting to. And even though a novella is supposed to complement a series and is not required reading (right?), I am starting to feel that if I don't read them then I am missing out on something and maybe not getting the full experience a series has to offer. Some novellas, no longer feel like a choice.

But I don't want to have to read novellas! So far I have always wanted to pick up a new book over a novella since I'd rather invest my time in a full length book than in a short story. But it's not just that. I also don't feel like acquiring novellas. I don't want to pay for them or go through the trouble of getting them at a library, if they even have them, for such a quick read. And I can never keep up with new novellas as they are published since they don't get the same kind of publicity. I can't even keep up with new releases!

Let's take the Throne of Glass novellas, for example. These are novellas that I feel like I have to read. Actually, I feel like I should have already read them, preferably before I started the series, even though they weren't even published then. Why do I feel this way? Well, not only have several people said that Heir of Fire has many moments that connect back to the novellas but several others have also mentioned that they believe they enjoyed the series more having started with the novellas than if they had not. So I feel like I am at a disadvantage not having read them yet. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE this series and I am actually really excited to read these novellas but should I have to read them? (I know I don't have to do anything but you get what I am saying here, or at least humor me). I almost wish Sarah J. Maas had just written a prequel instead. That's kind of what these novellas are. 

Another novella I feel like I have to read is Just One Night by Gayle Forman. I was not among the majority that felt cheated by the ending of Just One Year. I was actually OK with it. But now that this novella is an epilogue of sorts, I feel like I have to read it to get the real/new conclusion. To be fair, I heard that Gayle Forman wrote this novella to appease her fans, so this is a bit of a special case, but it still serves as an example of a novella that I feel like I need to read otherwise I am missing out. But again, I'm not saying I won't enjoy this novella. That is not my point at all.

Night of Cake and Puppets by Laini Taylor is an example of a novella I am ok with. This novella focuses on two of my favorite characters (ever) but it has no real bearing on the series, meaning that if I don't wind up reading it I am only missing out on adorableness. Liv and Roar by Veronica Rossi is also of this sotr. Another example is The Too-Clever Fox by Laini Taylor, which is set in the same world as the Grisha trilogy but is independent of it. (and hey, it's free!) These are what I feel like novellas should be - short stories that elaborate on a secondary character, a setting, a minor plot line, etc, but are not central to the story. That information should be in the actual books.

So I am kind of thinking (writing?) out loud here. One last time, I don not dislike novellas and I think I will enjoy quite a few of the ones I decide to read. I'm just not partial to their existence, I guess. But maybe I should start reading them before I continue to judge them...





divider
Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs